POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Three Vista annoyances so far : Re: Three Vista annoyances so far Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Three Vista annoyances so far
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jan 2009 13:09:41
Message: <49639e65@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:
> And lo On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 00:49:59 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
> did spake thusly:
>
> Not necessarily Vista only, but I've just got annoyed with a laptop
> downloading some AV update conking out because it went to sleep. I
> thought the point was it only did that when it wasn't doing anything;
> I'd say downloading counted as 'something'.

Well, I think it's not supposed to sleep based on the timer, yes. It's
usually some set of interrupts that restart the timer (as in, keyboard,
mouse, disk, and network perhaps?)  Maybe if the download was being buffered
in memory before being written out, and the network interrupt wasn't
configured to keep your machine awake for some reason...?

I *do* know they reworked that whole part for Vista due to the complaints of
programs and drivers needlessly turning off sleep capabilities.  People were
tired of closing the lid on the laptop, only to open it a few hours later to
see a dead battery and an "are you sure" dialog box. :-)

> The latest nice bit was installing a 02 3G mobile modem that required
> UAC to be turned off before it'd install, thus requiring two reboots
> bookending the installation.

Lots of broken stuff out there isn't the fault of Vista. You *could* have
just logged in as the administrator in the first place, you know. :-)

> My current favourite is the resolution of an error from Microsoft
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950375/en-us/ 'Just ignore it' would
> have been a much shorter entry.

Except that lots of people use Windows in real industrial settings where
they actually monitor such things, ya know. If you get a pager alert every
time something fails, "just ignore it" isn't a good answer.

I was amused when I found this one. I don't think you get a clearer answer
than this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824511

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)