POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 14:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Just a passing thought on religion (Message 57 to 66 of 176)
From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: Re: Just a passing thought on religion
Date: 11 Jan 2009 18:55:01
Message: <496a86d5@news.povray.org>
Forgot to say:
The Big Bang is to The universe as Love is to our spirituality.

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 11 Jan 2009 18:58:46
Message: <496a87b6$1@news.povray.org>
Corrections:
> and lived un-judged a "good life" would have their punishment.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jan 2009 20:40:44
Message: <496a9f9c$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Recently, creationists have claimed that they have found a proof of
> creation:

If they have, they're wrong. If nothing else, one piece of evidence does not
make for "proof", especially if one also claims evolution is "only a theory."

> something to do with a radiation emitted by certain atoms on
> peace of matter,

Someone found evidence of radioactive decay of short-life radioactive atoms
embedded as a physical mark (a ring, to be exact) inside crystals of stone
that are normally thought to take much longer to solidify than it takes the
radioactive particles to decay.

The creationist interpretation was "god put them all there at the same
time", conveniently ignoring the evidence of the Big Bang on which many of
them also rest arguments for the existence of God.

Other physicists and geologists look at that and go "Huh, that's
interesting. Someone ought to look further."  Creationists claim success in
forming a global theory of the existence of the universe based on lack of
theory to explain one piece of evidence, as usual.

> I was very sleepy at the time of seen this on a sleepless night.

You didn't miss much.

> So, that "proof" as any other theory is only that.

Don't confuse "proof" and "evidence". "Evidence" doesn't lead to "proof"
without other supporting evidence, which is what science actually provides.

(Note the lack of comment on your beliefs. This comment is about science,
not belief. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?