POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: andrel
Date: 13 Jan 2009 15:08:27
Message: <496CF520.4000601@hotmail.com>
On 13-Jan-09 18:58, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> I think people like you are voluntarily blind to spirituality

I can only speak, but I know that I have had experiences that I am sure
would have been called spiritual by others. I have had that moment, like
probably many others, when for the first time and in an just instant
totally understood how mind boggling big the universe is. My favorite
one, however, is the one I had in class the subject was general
relativity and basically our teacher let us 'discover' that light is a
property of any geometry with 3 space and a time dimension. I don't
think I can relate to you in any way how you feel when you suddenly and
completely realizes that of the famous opening of the bible*:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of
the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

statement three is totally superfluous.
I am assuming that you don't know what I mean because most religious an
'spiritual' people tend to stare you blank in the face if you tell them
how much of a spiritual experience maths can be and give this example.
And then they don't even know that on the board were only some matrices
and a 4 dimensional generalization of the maxwell equations with those
cute square operators. My wife says she understands.

In  short, even atheists can be very spiritual or religious or whatever
you want to call that. We just experience the feelings in another
environment.

Just to give another famous example of what I might mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZNsIFID28

> and make sure to stay this way, hence any belief in God is just
> non-sense from "wacky people".

I wouldn't say wacky, 'misled' would suffice ;)

> I wonder what kind of fear(s) relies in this denial
> behavior... comfortableness of a materialistic world?

Not everybody appreciates this kind of pseudo-psychology. I know I don't.

> who knows, but I
> think you are wasting your time analyzing religion/spiritual related
> matters when you have an aperture to it of any kind, because everything
> would be just non-sense anyway.

I think you'll find that there are a lot of 'atheists' that have studied
the bible and other holy books in more detail than your average
minister. They won't consider that a waste of time themselves.

------
*) suppressing the urge to quote not the new international version but
the lolcat translation, because this is a serious matter.

1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he
did not eated dem.
2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode
invisible bike over teh waterz.
3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.