POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hey cool Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Hey cool (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Darren New
Subject: Hey cool
Date: 12 Dec 2008 14:10:32
Message: <4942b728$1@news.povray.org>
I have OpenSUSE 11 installed as a guest OS under Virtual PC, so I no longer
have to reboot my machine to answer a boss' question about something funky
some Linux box is doing, or use ssh to tunnel a graphical interface from a
server, or something like that. Niiice.

Does "quad core" mean four complete ALUs? Or does it mean four register sets
hyperthreading? What do they call it if it's hyperthreading?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> I have OpenSUSE 11 installed as a guest OS under Virtual PC, so I no
> longer have to reboot my machine to answer a boss' question about
> something funky some Linux box is doing, or use ssh to tunnel a
> graphical interface from a server, or something like that. Niiice.

Way to go.

> Does "quad core" mean four complete ALUs? Or does it mean four register
> sets hyperthreading? What do they call it if it's hyperthreading?

It means four cores, ie. four units that really calculate things
simultaneously inside one CPU.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_15331_15332%5E15334,00.html

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

> use ssh to tunnel a graphical interface from a
> server, or something like that. Niiice.

So, you exchanged some weight of running an X app over the network by a lot of
weight for running 2 OSes on a single machine instead of a lightweight plain
text ssh session?  Not niiiice... :P

Post a reply to this message

>> use ssh to tunnel a graphical interface from a
>> server, or something like that. Niiice.
>
> So, you exchanged some weight of running an X app over the network by a lot of
> weight for running 2 OSes on a single machine instead of a lightweight plain
> text ssh session?  Not niiiice... :P

I have a quad-core machine with 6 gig of RAM here. :-) I'd still be running
an X app over the network - I just wouldn't have to install an X server on
Windows. I install Linux on Windows, and the X server on Linux. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> I have OpenSUSE 11 installed as a guest OS under Virtual PC, so I no
> longer have to reboot my machine to answer a boss' question about
> something funky some Linux box is doing, or use ssh to tunnel a
> graphical interface from a server, or something like that. Niiice.

Uh... why not just use a Windows SSH client?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> I have OpenSUSE 11 installed as a guest OS under Virtual PC, so I no
>> longer have to reboot my machine to answer a boss' question about
>> something funky some Linux box is doing, or use ssh to tunnel a
>> graphical interface from a server, or something like that. Niiice.
>
> Uh... why not just use a Windows SSH client?

Because ssh is a transport, and X is a graphics subsystem? Kind of the same
reason I use pov-ray to draw pictures instead of VI.

Let me rephrase, since I seem to have confused people. Now I can remotely
log in to a server via SSH and run GUI programs on that server without
having to stop what I'm doing in Windows.  (Or install an X server on Windows.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Uh... why not just use a Windows SSH client?
>
> Because ssh is a transport, and X is a graphics subsystem? Kind of the
> same reason I use pov-ray to draw pictures instead of VI.
>
> Let me rephrase, since I seem to have confused people. Now I can
> remotely log in to a server via SSH and run GUI programs on that server
> without having to stop what I'm doing in Windows.  (Or install an X
> server on Windows.)

I use VNC for this very reason... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Let me rephrase, since I seem to have confused people. Now I can
> remotely log in to a server via SSH and run GUI programs on that server
> without having to stop what I'm doing in Windows.  (Or install an X
> server on Windows.)

I'll have to ask, why is X server on Windows a beast?

Post a reply to this message