POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small security problem Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  A small security problem (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: A small security problem
Date: 8 Dec 2008 20:11:06
Message: <493dc5a9@news.povray.org>

http://blog.binaryfactory.ca/2008/05/windows-service-permissions-concerns-when-hardening-servers/

> Now, Mr Smarty, if you know how to actually do this *in Windows NT*,
> _then_ I'll be impressed. Cos I've spent all ****ing day trying to find
> it. :-(

I have only ever touched group policy in Windows XP.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Dec 2008 11:39:26
Message: <493e9f3e$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> And now I'm wondering... maybe it's a "right" you can set? (As you may
> remember, permissions apply to resources, rights apply to users.) I
> wonder if I can either assign the "stop service" right to a user group,
> or else create a mini-admins group and somehow revoke the "kick people
> off" right?...

Apparently yes.

Apparently anybody who has the "load or unload a device driver" right
can also start and stop system services. (WTF?) So all I need to do is
create a suitable group and assign people to it and I'm done. Yay, me! :-D

Post a reply to this message

>> And now I'm wondering... maybe it's a "right" you can set? (As you may
>> remember, permissions apply to resources, rights apply to users.) I
>> wonder if I can either assign the "stop service" right to a user group,
>> or else create a mini-admins group and somehow revoke the "kick people
>> off" right?...
>
> Apparently yes.
>
> Apparently anybody who has the "load or unload a device driver" right can
> also start and stop system services. (WTF?) So all I need to do is create
> a suitable group and assign people to it and I'm done. Yay, me! :-D

If you are worried enough that they will log off other users (either
accidentally or maliciously), then why aren't you worried that they will
start unloading device drivers? ;-)

Post a reply to this message