POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small security problem : Re: A small security problem Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small security problem
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Dec 2008 05:08:58
Message: <493f953a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> Geez, what sort of people have you got working there?  Surely that
>>> sort of behaviour demands some sort of official warning, it's not
>>> like you're at school messing about.
>>
>> Probably. But that's not my department. From *my* chair, the issue is
>> that only certain individuals should even be able to do that in the
>> first place.
>
> Oh right, good luck, next you'll have to stop him from pressing the
> reset button, then from turning the machine off at the mains, then from
> unplugging the network cable etc.  It quickly becomes impossible to stop
> someone who is set on causing disruption, far better to give them an
> "incentive" not to do it - like "oi stop this behaviour or you'll be
> sacked" :-).

Well, AFAIK, the guy isn't *trying* to cause problems, he's just a bit
overkeen. He probably doesn't realise that logging somebody off actually
terminates any programs they might have running (e.g., the control
software for the robotics that inject the samples into the system).
Turning the PC off at the mains, however, is "obviously" a Bad Thing.

More importantly, it's a Bad Thing that I obviously have no power to
prevent - so if it happens, it won't be my problem! :-D