POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Unhappy? (Message 21 to 30 of 64)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Unhappy?
Date: 3 Dec 2008 17:02:21
Message: <493701ed@news.povray.org>
>> How can you be sure it's accurate? Maybe it says that there are 20,000
>> people in city X, but actually only 50% of the population replied. (Or
>> something.)
>>
>> Sure, you have birth certificates and death certificates, but again,
>> how do we know those cover *everybody*? (Surely it must be pretty
>> comprehensive, but totally? Hmm.)
>
> People know they are not counting everyone so they also estimate how
> many they missed. I leave that one as an exercise to the reader.

Hmm. Looks unsolvable...

>>> Is that the one where you put one gain of rice in a corner of a
>>> chessboard and double it on the next square? until you have 2^63 at
>>> the last one?
>>
>> Yeah, that one.
>
> Then it is nor Warp's but slightly older, assuming that Warp is as old
> as he claims and not one of the secret millennium old persons.

Well no, but he mentioned it most recently. ;-)

(I actually read about it originally from Simon Singh...)

>> Ah. So you mean, by telling somebody something you're assumed to be
>> implying that it will happen in an unusual way? (E.g., "soon".)
>
> In most cases, yes. In your case it may simple serve as a form of self
> mutilation by proxy.

You may have something there...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Dec 2008 17:04:53
Message: <7g0ej41n6edoiht90t1sk3ht3c9ndh2d01@4ax.com>
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:47:26 +0000, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Heh. That's amusing... I've been in 3 fights in my entire life. If you
>can even call them that. And hell, I get breathless just walking up
>stairs. :-P

Well I've only been in about 3 real ones myself and no one got hurt.

>Still, you can see why I generally just don't talk to *anybody*. It's a
>reasonably good way to avoid being punched. Just for good measure, I try
>not to look people in the eye either...

That can work both ways sometimes it is a good idea.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message