POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Friday - an appropriate appellation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Black Friday - an appropriate appellation (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Chambers
Subject: Black Friday - an appropriate appellation
Date: 29 Nov 2008 17:17:08
Message: <78D2A215AB4C409B810B7FECCE51E51F@HomePC>
(For those who don't know, Black Friday refers to the last Friday in
November in the US, and it is the single busiest shopping day of the
year.  Traditionally, most retailers either make very poor profits, or
actually lose money, all year until that day.  That is, all year long
they're "in the red," until they begin turning a profit on this day,
when they're "in the black").

Yesterday's appellation of "Black Friday" was appropriate in more ways
than one, as several deaths occurred as a result of the holiday shopping
madness in the US.

The first was a worker at a Wal-Mart in New York.  As he opened the
doors at 5am, a crowd of 2,000 people stampeded into the store -
breaking down the doors and killing him in the process.  And he was a
temp worker, so he didn't even have any benefits!

In the same incident, several other people were taken to the hospital,
including a pregnant woman who (it has now been confirmed) suffered a
miscarriage as a result of the trauma.

Later in the day, two people shot each other outside of a Toys R Us in
California.  While management claims the dispute was unrelated to the
store, sales, or shopping in general, witnesses reported the two people
arguing inside the store earlier.

With all of this, it's no wonder the US gets a bum rap as a bunch of
nihilistic pricks.  Honestly, being in such a rush that you have to
literally step on someone else just to save $30 on a toaster?  Of course
the corporations do everything possible to feed the frenzy, running all
the advertising they are capable of, and getting people excited over
this particular weekend (and Friday in particular).

For myself, I've never actually gone shopping on Black Friday.  Most
years I had to work (imagine that), but the one year I did have it off I
went out at 10:30am and found most stores' shelves depleted.

One of my brothers was talking about going out to buy a TV - maybe I
should call and make sure he didn't get hurt in the process.

...Ben Chambers

www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> (For those who don't know, Black Friday refers to the last Friday in
> November in the US, and it is the single busiest shopping day of the
> year.  Traditionally, most retailers either make very poor profits, or
> actually lose money, all year until that day.  That is, all year long
> they're "in the red," until they begin turning a profit on this day,
> when they're "in the black").

Only one day each year when they make a profit?

That sounds pretty absurd to me. Why not just not bother opening any day
except that one? That'd make 25x the profit that way! :-P

> Yesterday's appellation of "Black Friday" was appropriate in more ways
> than one, as several deaths occurred as a result of the holiday shopping
> madness in the US.
>
> The first was a worker at a Wal-Mart in New York.  As he opened the
> doors at 5am, a crowd of 2,000 people stampeded into the store -
> breaking down the doors and killing him in the process.  And he was a
> temp worker, so he didn't even have any benefits!
>
> In the same incident, several other people were taken to the hospital,
> including a pregnant woman who (it has now been confirmed) suffered a
> miscarriage as a result of the trauma.

...da HELL?! o_O

People stampeded over SHOPPING??!

That surely has to be the WTF of the entire month!

(Having said that, people round here do seem to become slightly crazy
whenever a new Ikea opens. I have no idea why. Still, there are no
stabbings or crushed bodies. Just lots of people camping outside all
night so they get to be first in the queue to go on. With is borderline
insanity as it is...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> (For those who don't know, Black Friday refers to the last Friday in
> November in the US, and it is the single busiest shopping day of the
> year.  Traditionally, most retailers either make very poor profits, or
> actually lose money, all year until that day.  That is, all year long
> they're "in the red," until they begin turning a profit on this day,
> when they're "in the black").

Thanks for the interesting explanation.

> Yesterday's appellation of "Black Friday" was appropriate in more ways
> than one, as several deaths occurred as a result of the holiday shopping
> madness in the US.

I saw on TV and was astounded.  It's really a stampede, people begin behaving
like raging bulls!

So far I only knew of it through two movies: an old Jerry Lewis one and one
starring Schwarzenegger.  I thought it was typical Hollywood exhageration...

Post a reply to this message