POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Friday - an appropriate appellation : Re: Black Friday - an appropriate appellation Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:47:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Friday - an appropriate appellation
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Nov 2008 21:19:11
Message: <4931f81f$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Now, imagine if every consumer group had a sale that crazy, all on the
> same day...

Items on sale at the Valley Stream Wal-Mart included a Samsung 50-inch
Plasma HDTV for $798, a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28, a Samsung
10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk"
for $9.

Not that that excuses anything, but it *was* a pretty serious sale.  I'm not
surprised there were so many people there, but i'm rather surprised at their
callousness.

They had a similar problem in (I think) the 70s (or early 80s?) at a Who
concert, where a dozen people or so got crushed against the doors while
waiting to get in, after which the city instituted rules against open
seating at concerts or some such. (You could probably find the details with
enough googling, but more recent events are overshadowing the obvious terms. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)