POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Shopping for TVs (Message 61 to 70 of 205)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Shopping for TVs
Date: 2 Dec 2008 10:09:07
Message: <49354f93@news.povray.org>
>> Not a bad thing in itself ;)
>
> The entire building has very thick, very solid walls. It's a 30 year old
> block of flats, from when buildings were built properly.

Not like the building I'm sitting in right now, where the walls are
cardboard and every now and then a door handle falls off... :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 2 Dec 2008 10:24:18
Message: <49355322$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 14:22:56 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> All different versions of Acer TravelMate. None of them are young any
>> more. (Maybe 2, 3 years old?) A few of them will run on battery power
>> for, like, 20 minutes. But none are very reliable. Apparently they were
>> when new.
>
> Rechargeable batteries are funny things before Li-ion batteries, the best thing
> you could do for them was is to "work" them. That is charge and completely
> discharge them regularly. With Li-ion batteries that does not work and in fact
> it is counter productive. Li-ion batteries can be kept on charge all the time, I
> believe.
> You might be able to put some new life into your old laptop batteries by
> discharging them completely then charging then again a couple of times but if
> your laptop shuts off immediately on switching the power off then I fear that
> they are goosed.

IIRC, Li-ion batteries do have a problem with building up a *resistance*
barrier inside.  While researching batteries several years ago I ran
across some information, but I don't remember too much now.

If you follow a particular discharge pattern they will build up an
actual 'film' internally on an electrode.  This would increase the
internal resistance of the battery.  A lot of electronics detect this as
a dead battery and shut off accordingly.  The problem is that the
battery still does have a good charge, just a higher internal
resistance.  If you hook it up so that a current continues to be drawn
then the 'film' is burned off and the internal resistance decreases to
normal.

Post a reply to this message