POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Shopping for TVs (Message 1 to 10 of 205)
From: Invisible
Subject: Shopping for TVs
Date: 28 Nov 2008 06:54:19
Message: <492fdbeb$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I had a look around, and it seems that HD-ready TVs have
experienced a 10x price reduction since the last time I looked. In other
words, they no longer cost more than a second-hand car, and it's
actually feasible for ordinary people to buy them.

My mum's TV is... shagged. Both of the SCART sockets are defective, so
you don't get any sound. (One of them only produces B/W pictures
sometimes.) So I figured I might buy my mum a new TV for Christmas.

The existing TV is roughly 50cm x 50cm. (Obviously the *screen* has a
4:3 aspect - but the *casing* doesn't!) After playing with my measuring
stick, it appears that a device with a width of 70cm or even 80cm might
plausibly fit into the gap. Depending on the aspect ratio and the
styling of the casing, that gives me a 20" - 30" screen size.

It seems that LCD TVs go up to absurd sizes, with a price tag to match.
But depending on where you shop, units of the sort of size I'm looking
for seem to be much more reasonable in price.

There are, however, a few points I'd like to clarify.

- Some of the units claim a contrast ratio of 500:1. Some say 700:1.
Others claim 1,000:1. Which is fair enough. But then some claim
10,000:1. (And yet have similar or identical prices.) Am I *really* to

*highly* questionable to me. And yet other units claim to have 15,000:1.
One TV even said 30,000:1. Is that a typo or something??

- I _presume_ (since I haven't found one yet) that it is impossible to
get a TV with full 1080 resolution that is only 30" across. Is that the
case? (What, they figure you can't see details that small except on a
larger device?)

- Trying to figure out which TV is going to give me a decent picture is
maddeningly difficult. If you shop online, you can't *see* anything at
all, so you just have the luminance, constrast ratio and response time
to go at. (And the viewing angle - if that actually means anything.) If
you go to a physical shop things are not much improved; all the TVs I've
seen look terrible, most of them being driven by a simple RF signal over
cheap coax cable. (!!) How the *hell* am I supposed to tell which ones
are any good?

- What are the best brands to go for? (I have a Samsung computer monitor
at home that works very well, so I've been tending to look mostly at
Samsung. But I don't know if they're really the best.)

- Gotta love the way websites tell you a TV has audio connectors, but
neglects to specify whether these are inputs or outputs! :-P

- What is HDMI? Does anything use it yet? Is there a specific reason why

And of course, the million-dollar question:

- Are there any ways to obtain HD signals yet? (I gather BluRay players
are actually on sale now, but still prohibitively expensive. Are there
any other possible sources?)

Post a reply to this message

> - Some of the units claim a contrast ratio of 500:1. Some say 700:1.
> Others claim 1,000:1. Which is fair enough. But then some claim
> 10,000:1. (And yet have similar or identical prices.) Am I *really* to

> *highly* questionable to me. And yet other units claim to have 15,000:1.
> One TV even said 30,000:1. Is that a typo or something??

The contrast ratio merely tells you how "black" a black screen really is.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> - Some of the units claim a contrast ratio of 500:1. Some say 700:1.
> Others claim 1,000:1. Which is fair enough.

Yep, that's the real contrast.

> But then some claim 10,000:1. (And yet have similar or identical prices.)

That is "dynamic" contrast.  What it actually means is that when the TV
detects the image is mostly dark, it turns down the backlight (and turns up
each pixel a corresponding amount to keep the picture looking the same), in
order to get darker blacks.  The number is mostly meaningless, because of
course if the image is just plain black you could turn off the backlight
altogether and get infinite "dynamic" contrast!

> - I _presume_ (since I haven't found one yet) that it is impossible to get
> a TV with full 1080 resolution that is only 30" across. Is that the case?
> (What, they figure you can't see details that small except on a larger
> device?)

Exactly, I think in a "normal" room, anything below 37" you won't be able to
tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (unless you sit really close).

> - Trying to figure out which TV is going to give me a decent picture is
> maddeningly difficult. If you shop online, you can't *see* anything at
> all, so you just have the luminance, constrast ratio and response time to
> go at. (And the viewing angle - if that actually means anything.) If you
> go to a physical shop things are not much improved; all the TVs I've seen
> look terrible, most of them being driven by a simple RF signal over cheap
> coax cable. (!!) How the *hell* am I supposed to tell which ones are any
> good?

What are you going to be watching on it? Normal TV through coax cable? :-)
TBH there isn't much difference between the manufacturers, most differences
you see in the shop can be introduced or removed by playing about with the
picture settings.  If you ever want to connect a PC (without a DVI output)
up to it, check that it has a VGA input socket and that it will accept the
full resolution (some 1080p sets only accept 1024x768 WTF!),

> - What are the best brands to go for? (I have a Samsung computer monitor
> at home that works very well, so I've been tending to look mostly at
> Samsung. But I don't know if they're really the best.)

Again, I think all are mostly the same, there are only 3 or 4 companies in
the whole world that actually make the display panel itself, everyone else
just buys these and puts their own electronics and plastic around it.

> - Gotta love the way websites tell you a TV has audio connectors, but
> neglects to specify whether these are inputs or outputs! :-P

I usually go to the manufacturers site and download the user manual.

> - What is HDMI? Does anything use it yet? Is there a specific reason why

HDMI is useful to connect your PC to the TV if it has a DVI output (DVI and
HDMI are electrically the same, you just need a cheap converter cable).
HDMI cables can be had for under a tenner if you look on amazon or ebay.

> - Are there any ways to obtain HD signals yet? (I gather BluRay players
> are actually on sale now, but still prohibitively expensive. Are there any
> other possible sources?)

For TV you can get a freesat receiver and dish for a one-off fee (like
freeview but via satellite and has a few HD channels).  Or you can get Sky
for a load more HD channels, but you will need a monthly subscription to get
the HD channels.  Expect both of those to continue to add many more HD
channels over the next few years.

Or buy a PS3 for 300 pounds, but standalone bluray players are down to under
150 pounds now.

Post a reply to this message

>> - Some of the units claim a contrast ratio of 500:1. Some say 700:1.
>> Others claim 1,000:1. Which is fair enough.
>
> Yep, that's the real contrast.
>
>> But then some claim 10,000:1. (And yet have similar or identical
>> prices.) Am I *really* to believe that you can get 10x more contrast

> That is "dynamic" contrast.  What it actually means is that when the TV
> detects the image is mostly dark, it turns down the backlight (and turns
> up each pixel a corresponding amount to keep the picture looking the
> same), in order to get darker blacks.  The number is mostly meaningless,
> because of course if the image is just plain black you could turn off
> the backlight altogether and get infinite "dynamic" contrast!

Riiight. That's cute...

> Exactly, I think in a "normal" room, anything below 37" you won't be
> able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (unless you sit
> really close).

Can you typically tell the difference between progressive-scan and
interlaced? (Obviously I've been watching interlaced all my life, and I
don't think I've ever seen progressive-scan - except on computer monitors.)

>> - Trying to figure out which TV is going to give me a decent picture
>> is maddeningly difficult.
>
> What are you going to be watching on it? Normal TV through coax cable?
> :-)

Actually, normal TV from a digital receiver and then through a SCART cable.

(BTW, do we know why there's so much ghosting on the picture, even from
a DVD? I thought SCART was supposed to be a good way to transport
signals. Similarly, why do I get electric shocks every time I touch our
video equipment?)

> TBH there isn't much difference between the manufacturers, most
> differences you see in the shop can be introduced or removed by playing
> about with the picture settings.

Yeah, that's the other thing. Is that TV naff, or does it just need the
settings tweaking?

> If you ever want to connect a PC
> (without a DVI output) up to it, check that it has a VGA input socket
> and that it will accept the full resolution (some 1080p sets only accept
> 1024x768 WTF!),

A lot of the TV descriptions seem to leave confusion as to whether
you're buying a "TV" or a "monitor". Hmm... ;-)

>> - What are the best brands to go for?
>
> Again, I think all are mostly the same, there are only 3 or 4 companies
> in the whole world that actually make the display panel itself, everyone
> else just buys these and puts their own electronics and plastic around it.

Heh, figures.

So far, I've observed that the very low-price models have almost no
connectors at all, and the expensive ones have lots of them. It's the
only real difference I can see. (Other than trying to interpret the
brightness / contrast / speed ratings.)

>> - Gotta love the way websites tell you a TV has audio connectors, but
>> neglects to specify whether these are inputs or outputs! :-P
>
> I usually go to the manufacturers site and download the user manual.

Yeah, I think that's probably the best way to get *accurate* data.

>> - What is HDMI? Does anything use it yet? Is there a specific reason

> HDMI is useful to connect your PC to the TV if it has a DVI output (DVI
> and HDMI are electrically the same, you just need a cheap converter
> cable). HDMI cables can be had for under a tenner if you look on amazon
> or ebay.

would you put gold on a connector? The very first time you use it all
the gold will rub off!)

> For TV you can get a freesat receiver and dish for a one-off fee (like
> freeview but via satellite and has a few HD channels).

[I don't know what freeview is either, but apparently some TVs have it
"built-in".]

> Or you can get
> Sky for a load more HD channels, but you will need a monthly
> subscription to get the HD channels.  Expect both of those to continue
> to add many more HD channels over the next few years.

Yeah. If I was a serious HD nut I might do that. Actually, from what
I've seen, HD doesn't look any different to SD. (Face it, it's only a
slightly higher resolution.) Basically I just want a non-broken TV! ;-)

> Or buy a PS3 for 300 pounds, but standalone bluray players are down to
> under 150 pounds now.

My sister's boyfriend has a TV the size of a small star system and a
PS3. (And a Wii, actually.) I had a go at playing "CoD4" on it. It
seemed weird seeing such a vast picture all sharply in focus. Seemed a
tad blurry during movement though...

Post a reply to this message