POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: scott
Date: 28 Nov 2008 10:31:58
Message: <49300eee@news.povray.org>
> That extra box can also record stuff to its internal harddrive too. ;-)

Ah I see :-)

> Because gold is one of the softest metals known to mankind?

Gold is "soft" in the sense that you can stretch it a long way without it
breaking (the scientific word is ductile).  I don't see how that relates to
how easily the gold plating is going to "come off" the metal core (which
it's chemically bonded to).

> They had two TVs in Curries, one showing SD and one showing HD. There
> *was* a visible difference, but it was pretty tiny.

Ah OK then, well the differnce I mostly notice is that when people are shown
quite small on the screen (eg during a football match) on the SD you can't
make out any features on their face, but on the HD you can.  And during the
news etc when there is one big face on the screen, you can make out way more
detail on the skin (not always a good thing!).  And of course text is much
sharper.  But as with lots of things like this, you get used to the HD as
being "normal" very quickly, until you see SD again!