POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Nov 2008 08:58:58
Message: <492ff922$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> Actually, normal TV from a digital receiver and then through a SCART
>> cable.
>
> I think you'll find that most (all?) LCDs have a digital receiver built
> in, just plug the aerial straight into it - no need for an extra box or
> scart cables.

That extra box can also record stuff to its internal harddrive too. ;-)

>> (Seriously... why would you put gold on a connector? The very first
>> time you use it all the gold will rub off!)
>
> You put gold on there to stop the copper corroding that is in contact
> with the environment.  Why do you think the gold will rub off the first
> time you use it?  It's usually plated thick enough to last at least a
> few thousand connection cycles!

Because gold is one of the softest metals known to mankind?

>> Yeah. If I was a serious HD nut I might do that. Actually, from what
>> I've seen, HD doesn't look any different to SD.
>
> It won't look much different if you sit 4 metres away from a 20" TV.
> But sit closer to a 40" TV and there will be a huge difference.

They had two TVs in Curries, one showing SD and one showing HD. There
*was* a visible difference, but it was pretty tiny. (They were both
something like 30". I didn't press my nose up against them...)