POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Hints for drivers (Message 1 to 10 of 68)
From: Invisible
Subject: Hints for drivers
Date: 11 Nov 2008 08:15:01
Message: <49198555$1@news.povray.org>
In the interests of public service, I'd like to point out the following
small details:

1. It is in fact possible to take corners without actually coming to a
complete stop. This applies even if you're driving a Rover. You do not
need to actually stop in the middle of the road when you want to turn
off it; you can still keep moving as you take the corner. You don't even
need to slow down to less than walking pace. Really, it's fine. Try it.

2. The pretty flashing orange lights on the sides of your car are not
just for decoration. They are actually there for a specific reason. Go
learn about them.

3. Some people seem to believe that green means "go slowly" and red
means "go quickly". This is not in fact the case. Actually green means
"go", and any colour that is not green means "stop". Not "stop if you
feel like it" or "stop if it's convinient to your day", but "stop". As
in "STOP RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW YOU MORON!".

4. You see those stripy white lines on the road? Those demark the edges
of things we call "lanes". Your car should be in one of those lanes.
Pick which lane you want to be in, and stay in it. Don't just wander all
over the road at random. I realise that's the easiest thing to do, but
you need to make an effort to not do this.

5. Try to look where you're going. It is not, in fact, everybody else's
responsibility to get out of your way. Actually it is *you're*
responsibility to look where you're going.

6. Parking on a junction is illegal. Don't.

7. If there is no more space on your drive, park in the nearest layby.
Yes, I realise this means you have to walk 24 feet further than you
would if you just park in the middle of the road, but trust me, the
excercise will do you good.

Post a reply to this message

> 2. The pretty flashing orange lights on the sides of your car are not just
> for decoration. They are actually there for a specific reason. Go learn
> about them.

I usually inform them that their indicators are broken first...

> 3. Some people seem to believe that green means "go slowly" and red means
> "go quickly". This is not in fact the case. Actually green means "go", and
> any colour that is not green means "stop". Not "stop if you feel like it"
> or "stop if it's convinient to your day", but "stop". As in "STOP RIGHT
> FRIGGIN' NOW YOU MORON!".

Doesn't amber mean "stop if it's safe to do so"? ie no need to do an
emergency stop if there is someone behind you.

> 7. If there is no more space on your drive, park in the nearest layby.
> Yes, I realise this means you have to walk 24 feet further than you would
> if you just park in the middle of the road, but trust me, the excercise
> will do you good.

Parking on the road should just be banned full stop.

Post a reply to this message

>> 2. The pretty flashing orange lights on the sides of your car are not
>> just for decoration. They are actually there for a specific reason. Go
>> learn about them.
>
> I usually inform them that their indicators are broken first...

My favourite are the people who turn the corner, and then give just one
flash of their indicators *after* completing the turn. WTF?

Actually no, my *favourite* are the cars where the indicator's don't
illuminate at all, and instead the reversing lights flash, and the brake
lights go dim each time it happens! :-D I can't begin to imagine what
kind of insane wiring fault causes that...

>> 3. Some people seem to believe that green means "go slowly" and red
>> means "go quickly". This is not in fact the case. Actually green means
>> "go", and any colour that is not green means "stop". Not "stop if you
>> feel like it" or "stop if it's convinient to your day", but "stop". As
>> in "STOP RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW YOU MORON!".
>
> Doesn't amber mean "stop if it's safe to do so"? ie no need to do an
> emergency stop if there is someone behind you.

Sure. But some people seem to take amber as "speed up now", and red as
"floor it!"

>> 7. If there is no more space on your drive, park in the nearest layby.
>> Yes, I realise this means you have to walk 24 feet further than you
>> would if you just park in the middle of the road, but trust me, the
>> excercise will do you good.
>
> Parking on the road should just be banned full stop.

Well, there are places with specially marked bays where the road is wide
enough that you can park there without completely disabling that part of
the road network.

But seriously, every day when we get home, by dad has to drive round
this green car parked on the corner, partially obstructing my dad's
drive entrance. There is an empty layby on the other side of the drive
entrance. I repeat: there is an empty layby just *7 feet* away from
where this car is parked. There is a second empty layby 16 feet the
other way, on the opposite side of the road. But no, he has to park just
there, partially blocking both the entrance to my dad's drive, and most
of the pedestrian pavement. And on a corner as well.

Post a reply to this message

"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message

> Doesn't amber mean "stop if it's safe to do so"?

   I thought it meant 'Go' if it's safe to do so?

      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

>> Doesn't amber mean "stop if it's safe to do so"?
>
>   I thought it meant 'Go' if it's safe to do so?

That's what green means.

IME though, amber usually means "speed up to make sure you can cross the
line before it goes red" :-)

Post a reply to this message

Yesterday you made a thread complaining about grammar mis-uses.

Invisible wrote:
> you need to make an effort to not do this.

Split infinitive. "an effort not to do this".

> responsibility to get out of your way. Actually it is *you're*

*your*!

Post a reply to this message

> Yesterday you made a thread complaining about grammar mis-uses.
>
> Invisible wrote:
>> you need to make an effort to not do this.
>
> Split infinitive. "an effort not to do this".

Uh-huh. And what exactly *is* an "infinitive" anyway?

>> responsibility to get out of your way. Actually it is *you're*
>
> *your*!

Now THAT is actually wrong... Hey, we can't all be perfect all the time. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

http://www.grammarphobia.com/grammar.html

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>> Doesn't amber mean "stop if it's safe to do so"?
>>
>>   I thought it meant 'Go' if it's safe to do so?
>
> That's what green means.

    Heh, well I know that. I was thinking of the flashing amber down to
green, not the solid amber up to red.

> IME though, amber usually means "speed up to make sure you can cross the
> line before it goes red" :-)

   LOL. Yeah, I see enough of them.

    ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message