POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Luniversity studies (Message 51 to 60 of 203)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Luniversity studies
Date: 12 Nov 2008 06:33:33
Message: <491abf0d$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK, now I'm confused. A graph of current against voltage? But current
>> is completely *determined by* voltage! o_O
>
> Of course it is determined, but it's only a linear relationship (V=IR)
> for resistors.  LEDs are diodes and are certainly not linear, so you
> need a graph.  You could draw a graph for a resistor if you wanted like
> I said, but it would be a bit pointless because we know V=IR for a
> resistor.

Wait a sec - so you're saying there are devices which actually violate
Ohm's law?

>> OK... so... why not an open circuit then? That would have infinite
>> resistence?
>
> Then the input would be equally connected to 0V and V+ with near
> infinite resistances, that's called a "floating" input, because it can
> be persuaded very easily to either go to 0V or V+, depending on the
> exact details inside the IC (and maybe some state of the other inputs,
> who knows?!).  Best to ensure you have at most around 100K of resistance
> to one of the rails to fix the input reliably.

Uh... so have it always connected to one rail, but through such a high
resistance that the rail can't affect it?

Well, you're the one with the engineering degree, but it *still* doesn't
make any sense to me...

Post a reply to this message