POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies : Re: Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luniversity studies
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Nov 2008 06:48:47
Message: <491ac29f@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Wait a sec - so you're saying there are devices which actually violate
>> Ohm's law?
>
> Yes, more exactly, there are devices which do not have constant
> resistance/impedance.

Are you saying the resistence doesn't determine the current? Or are you
just saying that the current can cause the resistence to change?

>> Well, you're the one with the engineering degree, but it *still*
>> doesn't make any sense to me...
>
> Maybe it would help if you imagined that inside the IC there is a big
> resistor (eg 1Mohm) connecting the input to one of the supply rails (but
> you don't know which one).  In order to ensure this resistor cannot
> affect the input voltage, you need to make sure the input is always
> connected to the voltage you want through a smaller resistor

Hmm, OK.

> (electricity likes the lowest resistance path!).

Now, see, I always thought electricity just takes *every* path, with the
current being determined by Ohm's law.

So, if you have a high-resistence path from A to B, and then you add a
second, lower-resistence path from A to B, does the current flowing
through the first path change? Or does it remain the same?

(Clearly the *potential* at A and B will be changed - there's more
current flowing now...)