POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Luniversity studies (Message 41 to 50 of 203)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Luniversity studies
Date: 12 Nov 2008 04:48:27
Message: <491aa66b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> But this has basically been my experience in every group project I've
>> ever worked on. I've never met any other students who can actually
>> program / do advanced math / comprehend complicated logic / etc.
>> Basically I'm always the only guy in the group with any kind of
>> technical skill.
>
> Maybe you should have gone to a better University with more people at
> your level?  I can't remember exactly how old you are, did you have to
> go through the whole University application thingy where you supply your
> predicted A-level grades and get made offers from different places?  DId
> you choose somewhere that offered you really low grades or what?  You
> seem to have been quite mismatched with the course.

Just for the record: I have never taken any A-levels. I only took 3
GCSEs. I got a B and two Cs. This are unprecidentedly high grades for
the school I went to. (Remember, I went to a school for mentally
retarded people.)

I went to DeMontfort simply because it's the only university in the city
of Milton Keynes. (Gotta love the way they shut down the year I
graduated though! Apparently some folks had to transfer to some other
random city to actually finish their courses...)

When I mentioned this to some guy in the local LUG, he goes "What?
DeMontfort? That's not a university, it's an old polytechnic that
*thinks* it's a university now." I have no idea what he's talking about
- presumably some kind of cultural thing that would be over my head...

FWIW, my statements above were about college too. The class I was in
contained a bunch of "lads" who were more interested in getting drunk
and arguing about Cast vs Blur than actually learning stuff. Bunch of
losers they were! I still remember the weekly paper fights. Oh, and the
C'paddy races. (The objective being to say the word "c'paddy" the most
times in 60 seconds.) Like, WTF?

> I think some people are just destined not to program, we had a 4x2 hour
> time slot to do some C++ practical, which anyone who had ever made a
> simple program with a few functions could have done easily in the first
> 2 hours. Yet there were 1 or 2 people who were still there right at the
> end struggling with the whole concept.

Yes. A lecturer once told me that grades for programming assignments
show a curios bimodel distribution. There are people who "get it", and
find the assignments ridiculously easy. They walk away with A-stars and
better. And there are people who do not "get it". They struggly to write
anything.

For reasons beyond my comprehension, during my entire degree I kept
having random Asian people come up to me and beg me to "fix" their
programs. Quite how they knew my name is beyond me...

Just once, I did in fact take a look at one guy's Java program. Except
that... it wasn't Java. It had Java keywords in it, and the syntax was
sort-of reminiscent of Java. But it was gibberish. COMPLETE GIBBERISH. I
couldn't even take a wild guess at what it was *supposed* to do! The guy
claimed he just needed me to make "a few small fixes" - but this text
file was quite clearly not removely compilable, never mind runnable.

Clearly, the only way to "fix" this code would begin with deleting all
the currently existing code.

I am unsure as to whether the guy in question was so clueless that he
honestly believed that it wouldn't take much to fix this, or whether he
was just trying to sweet-talk me. How the HELL he expected the person
marking the work to believe that he wrote it is beyond me - unless he
really did think he had it almost right to start with...

Seriously. What. The. Hell.

But it seems that to some people, Java is just words on a page. Only a
few people can see beyond that and comprehend the conceptual constructs
that those words denote.

Post a reply to this message

> How many resistors can you see? Because I count NONE!

Sure, but that circuit does not show how you generate the inputs A,B,Cin or
how to connect the output to an LED.

Both of which require some basic knowledge of analogue electronics.

Post a reply to this message

> Just for the record: I have never taken any A-levels. I only took 3 GCSEs.
> I got a B and two Cs. This are unprecidentedly high grades for the school
> I went to. (Remember, I went to a school for mentally retarded people.)

OOC why did you go to that school, you don't seem mentally retarded!

> FWIW, my statements above were about college too. The class I was in
> contained a bunch of "lads" who were more interested in getting drunk and
> arguing about Cast vs Blur than actually learning stuff.

That mostly stops when you get to A-levels, because it's optional you only
get people there who actually want to be there.

> I am unsure as to whether the guy in question was so clueless that he
> honestly believed that it wouldn't take much to fix this, or whether he
> was just trying to sweet-talk me. How the HELL he expected the person
> marking the work to believe that he wrote it is beyond me - unless he
> really did think he had it almost right to start with...
>
> Seriously. What. The. Hell.

Aww, would have been better if you had some hot girls in your group, then
I'm sure you wouldn't have minded completely rewriting their code from
scratch :-)

Post a reply to this message