POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Interesting. (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Interesting.
Date: 6 Nov 2008 21:27:31
Message: <4913a793@news.povray.org>
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/10/sex-symbols.html

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Interesting.
Date: 7 Nov 2008 04:05:16
Message: <491404cc@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/10/sex-symbols.html

  In Finnish it's much easier because there are no gender-specific pronouns,
period.

  (Curiously, I have never read or heard any theory about why this is the
case in Finnish, even though most other languages do have gender-specific
pronouns, and more over often lack a neutral third-person pronoun.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   In Finnish it's much easier because there are no gender-specific
pronouns,
> period.
>
>   (Curiously, I have never read or heard any theory about why this is the
> case in Finnish, even though most other languages do have gender-specific
> pronouns, and more over often lack a neutral third-person pronoun.)

AFAIK, Uralic (& Altaic) languages in general lack gender (besides having
agglutination and vowel harmony and some other common or similar
properties). Beyond that, it's impossible to say why or why not - any such
reason, of course, could not have been recorded.

Post a reply to this message