POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting. : Re: Interesting. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting.
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 7 Nov 2008 09:40:59
Message: <4914537b@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/10/sex-symbols.html

I remember learning the "When in doubt, use 'he'" concept in school.  It
always bothered me, because no one (that I knew) actually spoke that way,
and most people to this day do not speak or write that way.  Nevertheless,
it was considered grammatically correct.

As a result, most of us still refuse to do that, and to avoid saying "they"
when it's not grammatically correct, we might say something like "he/she"
or, in computer manuals, "the user".  Once in awhile, you might hear someone
say "one" (as the French do), but it's not very common.  I didn't know this
whole story, but I find it interesting.

A good child should wash his hands.
A good child should wash their hands.
A good child should wash his or her hands.

A good boy or girl should wash his hands.
A good boy or girl should wash their hands.
A good boy or girl should wash his or her hands.

Interesting...  I have to say that I'd prefer the second choice, except to
avoid sounding grammatically incorrect.  Stupid linguists....  ;-)