POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting. : Re: Interesting. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting.
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 7 Nov 2008 11:58:27
Message: <491473b3$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
> As a result, most of us still refuse to do that, and to avoid saying "they"
> when it's not grammatically correct, we might say something like "he/she"
> or, in computer manuals, "the user".  Once in awhile, you might hear someone
> say "one" (as the French do), but it's not very common.  I didn't know this
> whole story, but I find it interesting.
>
> A good child should wash his hands.
> A good child should wash their hands.
> A good child should wash his or her hands.

	I'm not sure using "one" in the above cases is correct. Usually you use
"one" as:

One should wash one's hands.

	When I was taught all this, I was told using either is fine, as long as
you don't mix them up within the same context. So if you're writing
about a generic developer, you could just refer to the developer as a he
or as a she.

	Saying he/she is also "correct", but it gets clumsy if you have to keep
doing it within a paragraph.

	I do all of the above.

--
Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl