POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It must be friday Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  It must be friday (Message 9 to 18 of 28)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: It must be friday
Date: 31 Oct 2008 14:28:45
Message: <490b4e5d@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> does not simply copy a 103 GB RAID array. It's far too huge for there
>> to be anywhere to copy it *to*.
>
> Huh?  I can't even *buy* a hard drive that small any more, except on a
> laptop disk. A 160G disk is like $50 at the local shop.  I have 10x that
> much space stuffed in my desktop machine.

Are you serious?

Last time I checked, 60 GB is the smallest. (They stopped selling 40 GB
a while ago though.) For whatever reason, HDs never sell for less than

the amount of metal in the case costs or something.

(At the exchange rate *before* the world entered a global recession, $50

Keep in mind that the servers all use SCSI, which for some reason is 10x
more expensive than PATA or SATA. None of the servers has more than 200
GB of storage online. (Some of them do have a single hot spare.) Most of
the drives are 36 GB each. Even on the brand new Dell rack-mount things
with the hot-swap brive bays.

>> To summarise: It's Wild Goose time! :-D
>
> Sounds like it!

Heh. Yeah, well, a challenge can be fun, right?

(Ooo, did I mention? The drive holding the data is in "dynamic disk"
mode. I forgot about that! TestDisk is very confused by this... I did
however find a tool which will happily undelete data from a mounted NTFS
partition. But surprise surprise, there's nothing to undelete.)

Hey, it's not *my* fault somebody screwed up. It's not like *I* get
yelled at. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/