POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It must be friday : Re: It must be friday Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It must be friday
From: andrel
Date: 31 Oct 2008 19:25:36
Message: <490B9444.4060606@hotmail.com>
On 31-Oct-08 13:13, Invisible wrote:

> The new global backup procedure that's being drafted will mean that
> backup tapes are stored *forever*. (With the corresponding astronomical
> increase in expenditure on new tapes and physical storage space. But
> hey, it's not my money.)

As long as the amount of data your company produces increases less than
the equivalent of moore's law for harddisk space (which I am pretty sure
it does) the expenditure will exponentially go down in time.

I first used floppy disks then switched to CD copies of my data, then
switched to DVD, now I simply buy a new harddisk. In the video about the
economic crash they said somewhere that people simply don't understand
exponential growth (IIRC), well they don't. Our 24 hour ECG (holter)
system does not make backups. People accept that because it takes a

we can not afford that, don't we? We have entered the era where storage
of a full CT scan is cheaper than the lab results because the latter is
on paper. If you still have copy machines at work, something has gone
wrong (we have and it did).