POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  YouTube (Message 61 to 70 of 73)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: YouTube
Date: 3 Nov 2008 12:39:13
Message: <490f3741@news.povray.org>
> > Damn. And here I was thinking an integer-arithmetic FFT would be really
> > fast...

> When your CPU is a 16-bit CPU on an 8-bit bus running at a dozen MHz,
> even integer FFT is slow.

  And FFT is not the only thing an MPEG encoder has to do. Far from it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Nov 2008 13:17:49
Message: <490f404d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>> Damn. And here I was thinking an integer-arithmetic FFT would be really
>>> fast...
>
>> When your CPU is a 16-bit CPU on an 8-bit bus running at a dozen MHz,
>> even integer FFT is slow.
>
>   And FFT is not the only thing an MPEG encoder has to do. Far from it.

Well quantinisation isn't exactly math-intensive, and the arithmetic
encoding stage shouldn't be too hard either. (It's fiddly to code
correctly, but it's all simple integer arithmetic.) I'm not sure what
else is *in* the MPEG encoder transform...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/