POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2008 14:22:09
Message: <490f4f61$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I'm not really comprehending the significance of the distinction between
> P frames and B frames...

P frames are differences from the previous I frame.

B frames are differences from the preceding and following frames,
whether they be I or P or B.

In other words, you can't play a B frame at all without all the data
between one I frame and the next.

Ever try to skip forward and back in a youtube video? Those jumps
*there* are the I frames (or whatever equivalent). P frames need the
previous I frame (and maybe previous P frames? I don't remember) and B
frames need all the data between two I frames.

> True - but the Intel product line has been 32-bit over a 32-bit bus
> since, what, the Pentium at least?

Yep. How long do you think DSL and MPEG1 has been around? :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)