POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data technicalities Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Data technicalities (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Tom Austin
Subject: Re: Data technicalities
Date: 28 Oct 2008 14:48:33
Message: <49075e81$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> If the setup can take a simple copy, that would work and save a lot of
>> time.
>>
>> But if the system cannot take a simple copy, it is an alternative.
>
> Aside of a few troubles with how the software tells what it's doing (I
> mirrored the old drive onto the new one to find that it didn't rebuild
> the Raid 1, so I had to copy all over again when I said to rebuil), it
> worked flawlessly:
> 1. Exchange first faulty HD with bigger one
> 2. Mirror small drive onto big one
> 3. Exchange second faulty small HD with bigger one
> 4. Mirror from big to big
> 5. Use Windows to partition the new 230GB worth of space
>
> No troubles with the controller figuring that out. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Excellent!

Just in case I need to look up a good RAID controller in the future,
what are you using?

thanks,

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 29 Oct 2008 10:42:17
Message: <49087649@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:
> Tim Nikias wrote:
>> Tom Austin wrote:
>>> If the setup can take a simple copy, that would work and save a lot
>>> of time.
>>>
>>> But if the system cannot take a simple copy, it is an alternative.
>>
>> Aside of a few troubles with how the software tells what it's doing (I
>> mirrored the old drive onto the new one to find that it didn't rebuild
>> the Raid 1, so I had to copy all over again when I said to rebuil), it
>> worked flawlessly:
>> 1. Exchange first faulty HD with bigger one
>> 2. Mirror small drive onto big one
>> 3. Exchange second faulty small HD with bigger one
>> 4. Mirror from big to big
>> 5. Use Windows to partition the new 230GB worth of space
>>
>> No troubles with the controller figuring that out. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>

> Excellent!
>
> Just in case I need to look up a good RAID controller in the future,
> what are you using?

It's an ULI Raid Controller which is integrated into the motherboard,
which is an Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe. It's a few years old, when I switched
from Single Core to Dual Core and exchanged the old PC which had a
harddrive crash, which taught me the hard way of "better back up". ;-)

At the time I was told that hardware Raid controller are better than
software based, because there's no load on the processing OS, I'm not
sure if that has changed, but so far, it didn't fail and kept my data safe.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

>>> Aside of a few troubles with how the software tells what it's doing
>>> (I mirrored the old drive onto the new one to find that it didn't
>>> rebuild the Raid 1, so I had to copy all over again when I said to
>>> rebuil), it worked flawlessly:
>>> 1. Exchange first faulty HD with bigger one
>>> 2. Mirror small drive onto big one
>>> 3. Exchange second faulty small HD with bigger one
>>> 4. Mirror from big to big
>>> 5. Use Windows to partition the new 230GB worth of space
>>>
>>> No troubles with the controller figuring that out. :-)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tim
>>>

>> Excellent!
>>
>> Just in case I need to look up a good RAID controller in the future,
>> what are you using?
>
> It's an ULI Raid Controller which is integrated into the motherboard,
> which is an Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe. It's a few years old, when I switched
> from Single Core to Dual Core and exchanged the old PC which had a
> harddrive crash, which taught me the hard way of "better back up". ;-)
>
> At the time I was told that hardware Raid controller are better than
> software based, because there's no load on the processing OS, I'm not
> sure if that has changed, but so far, it didn't fail and kept my data safe.

When possible, I go hardware as well - but the cost can be a determining
factor.

I don't mind software RAID, but I've found they are a bit more touchy
when it comes to OS working smoothly with them (windows and linux).

When I have a true RAID setup I like to see 1 HD, not 3 (each physical,
then 1 that is the RAID set).

I'm glad that your upgrade went smoothly.  I've found that the waters
are not usually so clear :-)

Thanks for the info about the RAID controller, I'll keep it in mind.

LAter... Tom

Post a reply to this message

> I don't mind software RAID, but I've found they are a bit more touchy
> when it comes to OS working smoothly with them (windows and linux).

One advantage of a software RAID is that your OS will tell you when it
breaks. I never figured out, for example, how to get the Dell hardware
raid to actually tell me (under Linux) when one of the drives had
failed. Hence, it wasn't a whole lot of use, and I opened it up and used
the Linux software RAID instead.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message