POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data technicalities : Re: Data technicalities Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data technicalities
From: Tom Austin
Date: 31 Oct 2008 09:54:54
Message: <490b0e2e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> I don't mind software RAID, but I've found they are a bit more touchy
>> when it comes to OS working smoothly with them (windows and linux).
>
> One advantage of a software RAID is that your OS will tell you when it
> breaks. I never figured out, for example, how to get the Dell hardware
> raid to actually tell me (under Linux) when one of the drives had
> failed. Hence, it wasn't a whole lot of use, and I opened it up and used
> the Linux software RAID instead.

That is a problem - that each RAID system needs it's own unique drivers
- windows or linux.

And of course - when you have the OS create/manage RAID you will have
access to information without special drivers.

I like hardware RAID because of the transparency it can offer - it can
appear as just 1 HD with no special OS functionality.

But it is because of this transparency that you need drivers to view the
status of the array.

I guess it depends on what one if after and needs.

Tom