POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data technicalities : Re: Data technicalities Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:37:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data technicalities
From: Tom Austin
Date: 29 Oct 2008 14:43:21
Message: <4908aec9$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> Tim Nikias wrote:

>>> Aside of a few troubles with how the software tells what it's doing
>>> (I mirrored the old drive onto the new one to find that it didn't
>>> rebuild the Raid 1, so I had to copy all over again when I said to
>>> rebuil), it worked flawlessly:
>>> 1. Exchange first faulty HD with bigger one
>>> 2. Mirror small drive onto big one
>>> 3. Exchange second faulty small HD with bigger one
>>> 4. Mirror from big to big
>>> 5. Use Windows to partition the new 230GB worth of space
>>>
>>> No troubles with the controller figuring that out. :-)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tim
>>>

>> Excellent!
>>
>> Just in case I need to look up a good RAID controller in the future,
>> what are you using?
>
> It's an ULI Raid Controller which is integrated into the motherboard,
> which is an Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe. It's a few years old, when I switched
> from Single Core to Dual Core and exchanged the old PC which had a
> harddrive crash, which taught me the hard way of "better back up". ;-)
>
> At the time I was told that hardware Raid controller are better than
> software based, because there's no load on the processing OS, I'm not
> sure if that has changed, but so far, it didn't fail and kept my data safe.

When possible, I go hardware as well - but the cost can be a determining
factor.

I don't mind software RAID, but I've found they are a bit more touchy
when it comes to OS working smoothly with them (windows and linux).

When I have a true RAID setup I like to see 1 HD, not 3 (each physical,
then 1 that is the RAID set).

I'm glad that your upgrade went smoothly.  I've found that the waters
are not usually so clear :-)

Thanks for the info about the RAID controller, I'll keep it in mind.

LAter... Tom