POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  The misery of video editing (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The misery of video editing
Date: 25 Oct 2008 18:48:30
Message: <4903a23e@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:55:38 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   I don't remember any free software alternative right now. As I said,
> too low demand + too complicated of a program, I suppose.

Cinelerra is generally considered pretty good for this sort of thing,
however it is about as complex as Blender to learn how to use.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 25 Oct 2008 18:58:41
Message: <4903a4a1@news.povray.org>
> >> Right. So when everybody tells me that WMM is a fantastic piece of
> >> software that everybody in the world uses, they're actually lying?
> >
> >   Probably. Personally I have never heard anyone saying WMM being a video
> > editing software.

> Interesting. When I ask people how the hell all those videos on YouTube
> are put together, everybody invariably reply "oh, they probably just use
> WMM".

  Ok, you *can* create more complicated videos with WMM than eg. with
VirtualDub, but as far as I can see it's way more simplistic than a
professional video editing software. I suppose WMM vs. eg. Final Cut Pro
is about the same caliber of difference as Windows Paint vs. Photoshop.
You *can* create some simplistic images with Paint, but... Both Paint and
Windows Movie Maker are really bare-bones programs.

  Also, AFAIK, WMM has very poor support for input and output formats,
so it can be quite limited.

  Of course if you don't have anything else than WMM, and you are able
to make it work with your video files, try to use it. It's not like I know
of any better free alternative...

> >   The video data may be mpeg-encoded, but that doesn't mean the surrounding
> > container format is mpeg-compliant. (I don't know if it is.)

> True. But given that I don't have any tools for manipulating it
> correctly, I figured it was worth a shot.

  With mencoder you could stream-copy the DVD to an AVI file, which will
then most probably be openable in WMM, VirtualDub or whatever.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message