POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing : Re: The misery of video editing Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misery of video editing
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Oct 2008 12:59:50
Message: <4904a206$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The video data may be mpeg-encoded, but that doesn't mean the surrounding
> container format is mpeg-compliant. (I don't know if it is.)

Interestingly, since MPEG is designed to be streamed, there are
synchronization codes in the stream, and players are all supposed to
skip ahead until they find the sync codes. So depending on the container
format, this might work just fine.

For example, MP3 tags can just be stuck at the front of an MP3 stream,
because the MP3 tag spec (i.e., ID3) simply prevents the synchronization
code (0xFFFF, basically) from appearing in the tags. Players look at the
stream, say "Gee, I must be in the middle of a compressed lump of data
that I can't decompress without the beginning, I better skip to the next
sync flag."

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)