POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual PC 2007 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Virtual PC 2007 (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Virtual PC 2007
Date: 23 Oct 2008 08:53:32
Message: <490073cc$1@news.povray.org>
Anybody ever run a Linux distro under this beastie?
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Virtual PC 2007
Date: 23 Oct 2008 09:42:50
Message: <49007f5a@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody ever run a Linux distro under this beastie?

  Probably.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 23 Oct 2008 11:04:31
Message: <4900927f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Anybody ever run a Linux distro under this beastie?

I have

It's been a while, but if I remember right, the biggest problem is color
depth.  If you can get past that, you should be in good shape.

You may run into some driver problems as well.  IIRC the kernel 'generic
ide' driver was not playing nice - lots of timeouts - disabled it and
things went smoother.

There is a pretty large speed hit, but I didn't have cpu virtulization
extensions available.

All in all it worked pretty good

Hope this helps some.

LAter...  Tom

Post a reply to this message

>> Anybody ever run a Linux distro under this beastie?
>
> I have
>
> It's been a while, but if I remember right, the biggest problem is color
> depth.  If you can get past that, you should be in good shape.
>
> You may run into some driver problems as well.  IIRC the kernel 'generic
> ide' driver was not playing nice - lots of timeouts - disabled it and
> things went smoother.
>

> There is a pretty large speed hit, but I didn't have cpu virtulization
> extensions available.
>
> All in all it worked pretty good
>

> Hope this helps some.
>
> LAter...  Tom

Hmm, May give me a way of playing with Linux in a virtual box, though.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message