POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 (Message 140 to 149 of 189)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
Date: 17 Nov 2008 17:26:58
Message: <4921efb2$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> That would probably make more sense.  Or make it configurable via a GPO
> but have the defaults be sane for the home user.

Actually, it's kind of weird to me that you can turn off the computer
from a remote login without a UAC prompt, but you can't (say) change the
clock.  Strange.

And it still takes two UAC prompts to change "advanced" power management
settings. (Or maybe a different number if you're actually at the console
and not logged in remotely? It's a bit weird, IIRC.)

>> Yah. You can do this just by logging in as administrator, for example.
>> Then you get no prompts at all.
>
> On Vista?

On my version, yes. Or go into Local Policies and set it up how you
like. But on mine, by default, UAC is set to allow the actual
"Administrator" account anything. (You have to actually turn on the
ability to log in as administrator.)

Note I'm not talking "Member of the Administrators group", but the one
actually called "Administrator".

> Right click the panel and select "Add to panel" - then filter to
> "Menu".  :-)

Ah, thank you.  Yes, as I say, I probably could have solved it, but
since the problem happened as I booted back from a full restore, I
figured it was easier than actually trying to figure it out just then
and there.

Vista, on the other hand, has apparently made it impossible to
completely hide or reposition the task bar, or to pull toolbars off of
it. Given how often I've seen someone want their start button in the top
right corner vs how often I've seen it there, I can't fault this change.
:-)

> I use the updater applet which is really clear.

The thing in the "system tray" area? I never liked that. For one, it
would take a long time every time you logged in to check for updates,
preventing you from actually doing any package management or logging out
cleanly or whatever. (As I said, probably fixed now that they don't suck
down manifests every time.)

> thing is, Mono wasn't ready for prime time yet,

This is a complaint? ;-)

> and using your updater app to showcase a new technology is just mind-
> bogglingly stupid IMNSHO) and replaced it with packagekit.  I've found
> that to be MUCH better.

Cool. Maybe I'll turn it back on, when I get another job doing linux stuff.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message