POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 18 Nov 2008 13:14:34
Message: <4923060a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I think I'm just f'ing unlucky. I seem to run into every weird problem
> that no other Linux user ever has trouble with. Must be my morphogenic
> field or something.

I dare to challenge you with couple of really weird problems:

1) I have a Alphaserver ES40 as a toy. I installed Gentoo Linux on it
via very weird problem - keyboard didn't work on the local console. It
works on Debian's install CD, but not Gentoo's. I changed the kernel on
the install CD etc etc etc, but nothing helped. Eventually I created a
install-CD with DHCP client enabled, root passwd unscrambled and SSHD
enabled, so I could do the installation over the network.

2) I have Sun Netra X1, which I though I'd install as a firewall (it's a
cute 1U system, would make a nice firewall). I managed to install Gentoo
Linux on it, RAID-1 -setup etc. But after installing almost everything
and configuring the system I suddenly couldn't anymore copy files to
local disks over network. Scp, Rsync, simple cp from/to NFS, wget.. No,
just couldn't do it. I could transfer data nicely over network with no
problem to two directions, I could copy files from USB-stick to HD's,
but the path from NICs to HD just failed. No error, no reason, nothing -
the file just never appeared at the filesystem. I never actually solved
this.

-Aero