POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Nov 2008 19:00:01
Message: <4924a881$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:27:01 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That would probably make more sense.  Or make it configurable via a GPO
>> but have the defaults be sane for the home user.
>
> Actually, it's kind of weird to me that you can turn off the computer
> from a remote login without a UAC prompt, but you can't (say) change the
> clock.  Strange.
>
> And it still takes two UAC prompts to change "advanced" power management
> settings. (Or maybe a different number if you're actually at the console
> and not logged in remotely? It's a bit weird, IIRC.)

That does seem unusual, yeah.  In both cases....

>>> Yah. You can do this just by logging in as administrator, for example.
>>> Then you get no prompts at all.
>>
>> On Vista?
>
> On my version, yes. Or go into Local Policies and set it up how you
> like. But on mine, by default, UAC is set to allow the actual
> "Administrator" account anything. (You have to actually turn on the
> ability to log in as administrator.)

Ah, now I remember - I was logged in as the "owner" created during the
OEM setup process, not as administrator.

> Note I'm not talking "Member of the Administrators group", but the one
> actually called "Administrator".

Yup.

>> Right click the panel and select "Add to panel" - then filter to
>> "Menu".  :-)
>
> Ah, thank you.  Yes, as I say, I probably could have solved it, but
> since the problem happened as I booted back from a full restore, I
> figured it was easier than actually trying to figure it out just then
> and there.

Glad to help out. :-)

>> I use the updater applet which is really clear.
>
> The thing in the "system tray" area? I never liked that. For one, it
> would take a long time every time you logged in to check for updates,
> preventing you from actually doing any package management or logging out
> cleanly or whatever. (As I said, probably fixed now that they don't suck
> down manifests every time.)

On 10.x it did take a long time to check for updates and would bury the
processor as well.  My experience with it in 11.0 has been pretty good -
I do wish they differentiated between a read-only access to the database,
though, so you could launch package management while it was checking for
updates.  It's a database, after all, it should be capable of allowing
multiple processes to access it for read-only access.

Well, like I said below:

>> and using your updater app to showcase a new technology is just mind-
>> bogglingly stupid IMNSHO) and replaced it with packagekit.  I've found
>> that to be MUCH better.
>
> Cool. Maybe I'll turn it back on, when I get another job doing linux
> stuff.

Jim