POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 (Message 120 to 129 of 189)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
Date: 4 Nov 2008 00:38:18
Message: <490fdfca$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:58:25 -0200, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:33:39 -0200, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>>> OTOH, I read about a developer who quit contributing to the Linux
>>> kernel because he was tired about devs caring about companies saying
>>> $BULLSHT_BENCHMARK now gives lower results, instead of caring about
>>> the desktop becoming faster for users. (it was about lowering latency
>>> and improving the process scheduler, which would give better speed to
>>> the desktop)
>>
>> I hadn't read that one...
>
> Found link:
>
> http://apcmag.com/why_i_quit_kernel_developer_con_kolivas.htm
>
> This is the part I was referring to:
>
> "And there are all the obvious bug reports. They're afraid to mention
> these. How scary do you think it is to say 'my Firefox tabs open slowly
> since the last CPU scheduler upgrade'? To top it all off, the enterprise
> users are the opposite. Just watch each kernel release and see how
> quickly some $bullshit_benchmark degraded by .1% with patch $Y gets
> reported. See also how quickly it gets attended to."

Will have to read it more, but interesting - thanks for the link.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Nov 2008 00:39:59
Message: <490fe02f$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 06:53:47 +0200, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Cool, are you doing other types of media as well, or so far just music?
>
> Every possible file. It searches for all files in configured basedirs
> and you can define the player-software (and if the file is playable at
> all) by filetype. I'm throwing video files straightly to full-screen X
> with "export DISPLAY=localhost:0;/usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=3,0
> -vo x11 -fs -zoom". Apache is running on the same user that has the
> right to play the files, just to make things easier (the machine is
> dedicated, after all).
>
> And yeah, it normally plays randomly the radio-playable marked tracks
> and you can browse and search them - you'll need to log in to see the
> files you have permissions to (ables ie. you to give your kids
> permission to play cartoons, but not porn).

Very cool.  In some respects, kinda like Netjuke, but with more media
types supported (including video, which I don't think Netjuke does at
all) but also with a lot more flexibility.

When are you thinking of making the code available?

Jim

Post a reply to this message