POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too many pipes? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Too many pipes? (Message 1 to 10 of 51)
From: Invisible
Subject: Too many pipes?
Date: 21 Oct 2008 07:10:27
Message: <48fdb8a3@news.povray.org>
Thus far, I have had two seperate dreams involving pipe organs. While I
was learning about organ terminology, I had a dream about playing a pipe
organ. When I started learning about the stop names, I had a second
dream in which I accidentally killed 3 people by choosing a powerful stop.

I just read that the speed of sound in air is around 340 m/s, and that
an open pipe contains 1/2 of a wave while a stopped pipe contains 1/4 of
a wave. (Not forgetting the end corrections due to the stationary air
outside the pipe.) And also that long thin pipes have more harmonics
than short wide pipes.

All of this has pretty much inevitably ended with... the wave equation.

Yah.

So apparently the wave equation tells us that the 2nd derivative of some
physical quanitity "u" with respect to time is equal to the square of
the wave propogation constant multiplied by the Laplacian of "u".

...which would probably mean something if I could figure out what a
Laplacian is! :-S

According to Wikipedia, the Laplacian of u is the sum of all partial 2nd
derivatives of u with respect to every coordinate axis.

...so...the total curvature then? ._.

Post a reply to this message

> All of this has pretty much inevitably ended with... the wave equation.

Hehe, I so knew that was coming.

> So apparently the wave equation tells us that the 2nd derivative of some
> physical quanitity "u" with respect to time is equal to the square of the
> wave propogation constant multiplied by the Laplacian of "u".
>
> ...which would probably mean something if I could figure out what a
> Laplacian is! :-S
>
> According to Wikipedia, the Laplacian of u is the sum of all partial 2nd
> derivatives of u with respect to every coordinate axis.
>
> ...so...the total curvature then? ._.

Pretty much yeh - the wave equation basically says that the 2nd differential
in time is proportional to the 2nd differential in space.  Obviously the 2nd
differential in "space" depends on how many dimensions you are working in,
but you more or less just sum up the 2nd differential in each dimension.

Thinking of writing a simulator? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> All of this has pretty much inevitably ended with... the wave equation.
>
> Hehe, I so knew that was coming.

Yeah, pretty much.

>> ...so...the total curvature then? ._.
>
> Pretty much yeh - the wave equation basically says that the 2nd
> differential in time is proportional to the 2nd differential in space.
> Obviously the 2nd differential in "space" depends on how many dimensions
> you are working in, but you more or less just sum up the 2nd
> differential in each dimension.

Hmm. Seems simple enough...

> Thinking of writing a simulator? ;-)

Well let's put it this way: What do you think my chances of building a
working set of organ pipes are? :-P Last time I tried to cut wood, I
couldn't even cut it straight! :-/ I figure I have far more chance of
building an organ simulator...

Post a reply to this message