POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too many pipes? : Re: Too many pipes? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too many pipes?
From: scott
Date: 21 Oct 2008 09:22:38
Message: <48fdd79e@news.povray.org>
> Hmm. Seems simple enough...
>
>> Thinking of writing a simulator? ;-)
>
> Well let's put it this way: What do you think my chances of building a
> working set of organ pipes are? :-P Last time I tried to cut wood, I
> couldn't even cut it straight! :-/

Just practise, and you can buy (or make) some jigs that constrain the saw to
move exactly straight.  THat way you will get perfect cuts every time.

> I figure I have far more chance of building an organ simulator...

You reckon? Thinking about it, I think you will need to use the
Navier-Stokes equations, because you need to simulate the velocity of the
fluid too, not just the pressure. (the velocity of the air stream is what
causes the pressure differences which in turn cause the flow to oscillate
between going out of the mouth and staying within the pipe).

Good luck :-)