POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reserved words redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Reserved words redux (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Reserved words redux
Date: 18 Oct 2008 18:25:00
Message: <web.48fa61b0b947749355bd91cf0@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > I mean, surely 整數 can be written in italics or bold wit
> hout altering
> > its meaning.
>
> Again, it depends on the field of study.  "R" is a variable. Bold-face R
>
> means the set of real numbers, in mathematical notation.

Nice try, but in one given program it means one and only one thing.

> > And no, I'm not a fan of case-sensitive syntax either.
>
> And capital delta and lower-case delta mean two different things in
> math, too.

We're not talking about math, we're talking about a program, possibly a domain
specific one with its own business rules and meanings.

> > Yes.  You may use whatever font you please,
>
> You've yet to actually provide a reason for your disagreement.

I thought I was clear enough.  I consider "foobar", *foobar*, /foobar/, Foobar,
FooBar, FOOBAR to be all the same.  It's still a foobar like any other...

yes, I know C++ users will say FOOBAR is a constant, Foobar or FooBar a class
and foobar an instance of such class.  Baloney...

Post a reply to this message

>> Again, it depends on the field of study.  "R" is a variable. Bold-face
>> means the set of real numbers, in mathematical notation.

> Nice try, but in one given program it means one and only one thing.

You assert this without justification.

>>> And no, I'm not a fan of case-sensitive syntax either.
>> And capital delta and lower-case delta mean two different things in
>> math, too.
>
> We're not talking about math, we're talking about a program, possibly a
 domain
> specific one with its own business rules and meanings.

Yes? You don't understand hypotheticals?

>>> Yes.  You may use whatever font you please,
>> You've yet to actually provide a reason for your disagreement.
>
> I thought I was clear enough.  I consider "foobar", *foobar*, /foobar/,
 Foobar,
> FooBar, FOOBAR to be all the same.  It's still a foobar like any other.
..

You assert this without justification.

Maybe you mean that you simply disagree with the merit of the idea.
That's fine. But you phrase it as if there's actually a good reason why
the idea needn't be considered other than your personal preference.

You say "surely 整數 can be written in italics or bold with
out altering
its meaning."  I'm disagreeing that it is as sure as you say, but your
justification seems to be "saying the same thing louder". :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> > I thought I was clear enough.  I consider "foobar", *foobar*, /foobar/,
>  Foobar,
> > FooBar, FOOBAR to be all the same.  It's still a foobar like any other.
> ..
>
> You assert this without justification.
>
> Maybe you mean that you simply disagree with the merit of the idea.

Yes.  I can certainly see the value of having different identifiers binded to
the same word under different graphisms, from a practical standpoint, but still
do not agree with it.

> That's fine. But you phrase it as if there's actually a good reason why
> the idea needn't be considered other than your personal preference.

It's not mine alone.  The Pascal and Lisp languages have long supported this
notion.

Besides, case-sensitiveness is already bad enough, but at least most editors
support it.  I'm guessing your proposal would not play nice with notepad
folks...

Post a reply to this message