POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Metric redux (Message 51 to 60 of 120)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Metric redux
Date: 15 Oct 2008 04:25:01
Message: <web.48f5a8908288134208d05c80@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > In the UK, aren't speeds in KPH, but signs in miles?
>
> No both are in miles, but most cars sold in the UK have km/hr on the
> dashboard too, incase you feel like taking your car over to a neighboring
> country.  Funnily enough, neighboring countries usually *only* have km/hr,
> so if you decide to drive in the UK you have to work out the mph as you go
> along :-)
>
> Working out the MPG is hard yes, when I lived in the UK I used to write the
> amount of litres and miles down each time I filled up.  Every so often I
> would take the list indoors and figure out the MPGs with a
> computer/calculator.  Working out the litres/100km fuel economy is much
> simpler, and you can do it qutie accurately in your head whilst driving
> without needing any conversion factors!

That is 1 m/l = 4.5 mpg, more accurately 4.546.
1 K/l = 2.82 mpg

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Oct 2008 06:25:57
Message: <48f5c535$1@news.povray.org>

> That is 1 m/l = 4.5 mpg, more accurately 4.546.
> 1 K/l = 2.82 mpg

Yeh I guess it's just another conversion factor to remember, anyway, even
cheaper cars calculate the show the fuel economy in whatever unit you want
nowadays :-)  For me, I just try to get as many kms as possible before
refilling, I think my record is 850km now!

Post a reply to this message

> > That is 1 m/l = 4.5 mpg, more accurately 4.546.
> > 1 K/l = 2.82 mpg
>
> Yeh I guess it's just another conversion factor to remember, anyway, even
> cheaper cars calculate the show the fuel economy in whatever unit you want
> nowadays :-)  For me, I just try to get as many kms as possible before
> refilling, I think my record is 850km now!

Well my car is about 12 years old and all it does is drive, albeit at about 30

week to travel to and from Wales and got upgraded to a Saab. I could get used
to these new features like mpg, avg speed, how far the remaining fuel will
last, cruise control etc.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> In the UK, aren't speeds in KPH, but signs in miles?
>
> No both are in miles, but most cars sold in the UK have km/hr on the
> dashboard too, incase you feel like taking your car over to a neighboring
> country.  Funnily enough, neighboring countries usually *only* have km/hr,
> so if you decide to drive in the UK you have to work out the mph as you go
> along :-)

That's not too hard roughly one and a half the miles to get km ad add an
extra tenth if you want to get closer.
That's useful for distances but for speed, one learns fast because there are
few different values
luckily hours are as long in UK and continent :-)
What is more tricky is converting hPa in PSI when you want to check tyres
pressure.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Oct 2008 13:45:13
Message: <48f62c29$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:55:35 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2008 00:22:08 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>Your gallons are bigger than ours.  That's how you manage 55 MPG in your
>>cars.  ;-)
>>

> Not in my car I don't :)

Well, you know what I mean.  I was initially surprised by the mileage the
car we drove got until I realised why that was. ;-)

>>> Only if you're innumerate :P
>>
>>You forget that America is the land of the innumerate. ;-)
>
> The young here are not much better. But then I was brought up before
> calculators were affordable. In fact they were not allowed in exams.
> Today's kids look aghast if you offer the correct money in a shop. Sad!

I actually look for situations to exercise my mind in that way - doing
what should be simple math without starting bc or using a calculator.

I wonder how many others do that?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Oct 2008 13:46:38
Message: <48f62c7e$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:25:48 -0500, Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> In the UK, aren't speeds in KPH, but signs in miles?  It's been a few
>> years, but I wanted to say that that was the other odd thing about
>> driving over there.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
>
> 	My understanding was that it's meant to be a temporary problem,
not
> lasting more than a generation. Imperial units usage was common there
> until recently, and is still common when it comes to miles. The hope was
> that the new generation will be more comfortable with km. No idea if
> that's the case.
>
> 	I believe (others can correct me if I'm wrong), almost all signs
there
> are in both miles and kilometers.

Last time I was over there, I remember commenting on it talking to a
friend as I was driving his car (first time out, always good to drive
with someone who actually knows - and he had a vested interest, since it
was his car), and his comment was that it came down to a cost issue -
replacing perfectly good signs with other perfectly good signs wasn't
seen as cost-effective.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Oct 2008 13:47:45
Message: <48f62cc1$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:09:35 +0200, scott wrote:

>> In the UK, aren't speeds in KPH, but signs in miles?
>
> No both are in miles, but most cars sold in the UK have km/hr on the
> dashboard too, incase you feel like taking your car over to a
> neighboring country.  Funnily enough, neighboring countries usually
> *only* have km/hr, so if you decide to drive in the UK you have to work
> out the mph as you go along :-)

That's right - but I want to say the kph was on the outside whereas on US
cars it's on the inside.

> Working out the MPG is hard yes, when I lived in the UK I used to write
> the amount of litres and miles down each time I filled up.  Every so
> often I would take the list indoors and figure out the MPGs with a
> computer/calculator.  Working out the litres/100km fuel economy is much
> simpler, and you can do it qutie accurately in your head whilst driving
> without needing any conversion factors!

More fun in your head is to convert the cost there to US dollars per US
gallon....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 15 Oct 2008 13:55:05
Message: <48f62e77@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Last time I was over there, I remember commenting on it talking to a
> friend as I was driving his car (first time out, always good to drive
> with someone who actually knows - and he had a vested interest, since it
> was his car), and his comment was that it came down to a cost issue -
> replacing perfectly good signs with other perfectly good signs wasn't
> seen as cost-effective.

Some vandal should destroy the current signs then :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Oct 2008 14:18:35
Message: <bsccf4dqaq3kv7ft9flk6sp1bmj15reml5@4ax.com>
On 15 Oct 2008 13:45:13 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:55:35 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> Not in my car I don't :)
>
>Well, you know what I mean.  I was initially surprised by the mileage the
>car we drove got until I realised why that was. ;-)

Well if you will insist on having 16 fluid ounces to a pint instead of 20 what
can you expect? (BTW for the metric brigade there are 16 ounces in a pound
(weight) and if you have 20 fluid oz in a pint, a pint of water weighs a pound)
[You know it makes sense :)]

>>>You forget that America is the land of the innumerate. ;-)
>>
>> The young here are not much better. But then I was brought up before
>> calculators were affordable. In fact they were not allowed in exams.
>> Today's kids look aghast if you offer the correct money in a shop. Sad!
>
>I actually look for situations to exercise my mind in that way - doing
>what should be simple math without starting bc or using a calculator.
>
>I wonder how many others do that?

Yeah! It keeps your mind muscle fit.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Oct 2008 14:25:15
Message: <62dcf4pb5lfhhmm5vhq8oic6o0cs2ok6bp@4ax.com>
On 15 Oct 2008 13:46:38 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Last time I was over there, I remember commenting on it talking to a
>friend as I was driving his car (first time out, always good to drive
>with someone who actually knows - and he had a vested interest, since it
>was his car), and his comment was that it came down to a cost issue -
>replacing perfectly good signs with other perfectly good signs wasn't
>seen as cost-effective.

I have my doubts about that, as our government often re-brand companies costing
millions to design new logos and replace the ones they replaced a couple of
years ago. IIRC it was decided to let all the old codgers die off first as they
were kicking up such a fuss. (If English was good enough for the bible then it's
good enough for me, attitude)
And Wales and parts of Scotland have dual language signs.
--

Regards
     Stephen