POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux : Re: Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metric redux
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Oct 2008 13:45:13
Message: <48f62c29$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:55:35 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2008 00:22:08 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>Your gallons are bigger than ours.  That's how you manage 55 MPG in your
>>cars.  ;-)
>>

> Not in my car I don't :)

Well, you know what I mean.  I was initially surprised by the mileage the
car we drove got until I realised why that was. ;-)

>>> Only if you're innumerate :P
>>
>>You forget that America is the land of the innumerate. ;-)
>
> The young here are not much better. But then I was brought up before
> calculators were affordable. In fact they were not allowed in exams.
> Today's kids look aghast if you offer the correct money in a shop. Sad!

I actually look for situations to exercise my mind in that way - doing
what should be simple math without starting bc or using a calculator.

I wonder how many others do that?

Jim