POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Metric redux (Message 41 to 50 of 120)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Metric redux
Date: 15 Oct 2008 00:22:08
Message: <48f56ff0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:04:34 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2008 14:57:39 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>I always found it weird in the UK that distances are in miles and
>>mileage seems to be in MPG (but imperial gallons), but the purchase of
>>petrol is by the litre.
>
> You mean that imperial doesn't mean American? <g>

Your gallons are bigger than ours.  That's how you manage 55 MPG in your
cars.  ;-)

>>That makes it *really* difficult to figure out fuel efficiency if you
>>don't have a computer to do that in your car.
>
> Only if you're innumerate :P

You forget that America is the land of the innumerate. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Oct 2008 00:23:01
Message: <48f57025$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:19:03 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That makes it *really* difficult to figure out fuel efficiency if you
>> don't have a computer to do that in your car.
>
> Oh, my observation is that in the US, odometers (distance measures in
> the dashboard) read in tenths of miles, permanent signs are in halves
> and quarters of miles (as in, "next exit 2 1/2 miles") and temporary
> signs are in thousands of feet (as in "road construction 2000 feet").
>
> That *does* make it a bit difficult to figure out wtf is going on. :-)

True, that it does.

In the UK, aren't speeds in KPH, but signs in miles?  It's been a few
years, but I wanted to say that that was the other odd thing about
driving over there.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Jim

Post a reply to this message