POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Research (Message 1 to 10 of 68)
From: Invisible
Subject: Research
Date: 13 Oct 2008 05:30:53
Message: <48f3154d$1@news.povray.org>
It's amazing what you can find out on teh interwebs...

For example, that plug you use to plug normal equipment into the
electricity grid. Apparently there's a name for it. It's called "BS
1363". (Memorable, eh?)

Similarly, the lead that almost all computers are powered by. The
connector on one end is a normal BS 1363. Apparently the connector at
the other end is known as "IEC 60320 C13". (And the matching socket is C14.)

And - the point of my research - that weird "clover leaf" plug that
certain laptops have. I always assumed it was proprietry. But no,
apparently that's "IEC 60320 C5". This information will make it
drastically easier for me to find a replacement lead for the spare
laptop here! ;-)

(I still have the half of the leaf with the transformer in it - and the
half that connects to the laptop itself. That's the hard part to
replace. But some visitor from America borrowed the other half, because
her laptop also had an IEC 60320 C6 socket, and I never got the lead back.)

Even more, apparently the rare 2-pin plug you see on some low-powered
stuff is IEC 60320 C7.

Check it out:
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/IEC320.htm

Post a reply to this message

> It's amazing what you can find out on teh interwebs...
>
> For example, that plug you use to plug normal equipment into the
> electricity grid. Apparently there's a name for it. It's called "BS 1363".
> (Memorable, eh?)

You mean normal for British Isles :-)
http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#plugs

You don't feel lonely?
BTW the BS1363 is very reliable, gives excellent contact and can pass high
power.

Marc

Post a reply to this message