POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  End of the world delayed until spring (Message 99 to 108 of 148)
From: somebody
Subject: Re: End of the world delayed until spring
Date: 26 Sep 2008 11:47:24
Message: <48dd040c$1@news.povray.org>
"somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:48dcf516$1@news.povray.org...

> Google "benefits of high energy physics". On top, we find:
>
> http://www.er.doe.gov/hep/benefits/index.shtml
>
> Oh no! I was wrong all along. Look just how many benefits there are!

On the matter of incidental benefits, just one more thing I forgot to say in
my previous post: If you build a $10 billion medical research facility, you
can bet that they too will need superconductor magnets and state of the art
computers and networks, detectors, analysis equipment... etc. So you will
still get all the incidental benefits supporting the subsisidary industries
and research, but on top of that, you get the benefits from the main
research. For this reason, incidental benefits listed above are not really
benefits of HEP at all, they are benefits of any large and advanced
facility. The questions you have to ask, if you already decided to spend $10
billion, should relate to the main purpose of research to be conducted at
that facility.

Post a reply to this message