POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:07:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: somebody
Date: 26 Sep 2008 14:56:52
Message: <48dd3074$1@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> >> The difficulty is you seem to be suggesting that we only do projects
when
> >> we know exactly

> > Not exactly, but reasonably sure that it may have applications. And
> > prioritize with benefits to humans in mind.

> Nearly every major discovery was a result of accident, or basic
> research, where the known outcome wasn't predictable,

No. Nearly every major discovery was as a result of hard work and planning.

> not "prioritizing
> with benefits to humans in mind". Ever heard of teflon?

Exceptions prove the rule. Only those discoveries which are "accidental"
make the news. You won't hear in the news scientists toiling for years in
the lab, incrementally discovering things.

Mad scientists, accidental discoveries... etc is a mickey mouse version of
real science.

> Another example?

No thank you. That you can come up with one or two anectodes does not make a
case (for you anyway). Go watch scientists working at a major research
centre. It's a well managed business as any, with plans, budgets, goals,
hard work.

> Modern die technology

You mean dye, right? However, let me jump on the "die technology". We have
been developing casting methodologies for millenia. It's all an incremental
business. And it's hard work. It's trial and error, theory... etc. Countless
technicians and scientists have worked on the process with the *express
intent* of improving the process. Next time you see an object of industrial
design, don't dismiss its realization as "accidental". It's a result of
focused development. Same for any technology, be it electronics, computers,
medical... etc. Don't buy into the Hollywood version of science and
technology.