POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Sep 2008 14:33:30
Message: <48dd2afa$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:

> web.48dc91a9fe1a0943f8d41d850@news.povray.org...
>> Nitpicking I know but some science is founded on
>> beliefs then the beliefs are studied and found to be true, wanting or in
>> need of
>> modifying.
> LOL now I shall nitpick (question of POV?) science is founded on theories.
> The difference is that  theories have to face experiment, beliefs don't.

Close, but not quite. Science is based on theories that ***explain***
facts. Religions do the opposite, they present guesses (not the same as
theory), then wander around "looking" for facts that appear like they
support them, usually while ignoring ones that don't. This is why the
former can be tested, while the later can't. One *must* change when
confronted with different facts, and actively looks for things that can
"break" it, the other, tries real hard to go, "La la la la la!", with
its eyes and ears covered, until/unless it finds some fact that can be
shoehorned into the appearance of support for it. Sadly for them,
appearances matter not one bit.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {