POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:09:43 EDT (-0400)
  End of the world delayed until spring (Message 129 to 138 of 148)
From: somebody
Subject: Re: End of the world delayed until spring
Date: 28 Sep 2008 02:40:15
Message: <48df26cf@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

> Tell me, do you go to the movies?  You know, all that money that's dumped
> into entertainment might be better spent on medical research.  Stop
> spending your money at the movies, and start donating it all to medical
> research.
>
> What else do you do for fun?  Well, let's see, you use Microsoft Outlook
> Express, so presumably you use Windows.

I wouldn't call that "fun", but let's play along...

> You bought a computer - you use
> it for posting to online forums.  You pay Shaw Cable, what, $22/month
> maybe for 'net connectivity?  Or do you bundle and get basic cable
> (another $32.95/month), or add phone service for another $20.95/month?
>
> That's an awful lot of money you spend on something as frivolous as
> entertainment.  Seems to me that money would be better spent by donating
> it (let's assume you bundle the first two lowest-cost services and spend
> only about $55 before taxes per month) - that's $660/year you could be
> donating to cancer research.

Thank you for your very helpful calculations. I'll be sure to go offline and
save my money. In a little over 15 million years, I will have thus saved
enough money to donate an equal sum to medical research what LHC is costing.

You are joking, right? Contrary to what you might have been led to believe,
one man doesn't make a difference. Not that way anyway. Be sure to share
your other bright schemes, however.

Post a reply to this message