POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: andrel
Date: 28 Sep 2008 09:07:34
Message: <48DF81E2.2040505@hotmail.com>
> That's an awful lot of money you spend on something as frivolous as
> entertainment.  Seems to me that money would be better spent by donating
> it (let's assume you bundle the first two lowest-cost services and spend
> only about $55 before taxes per month) - that's $660/year you could be
> donating to cancer research.  Better yet, why don't you go into the field
> so you can actually do some of the research as well as donating your
> frivolously spent money to that research?

Funny you mention that. Last Thursday I was at a meeting organized by
the Netherlands Heart Foundation. The meeting consisted mostly of
researchers working in cardiology and from those mostly the ones that
were now or recently paid by the NHF. At the beginning of the meeting
the chairman had a talk and during that talk he asked who was donating
money. Only a minority of hands were shown. He them proceeded to scold
those who didn't that they would gladly take the money from the
foundation but not support it. I was rather taken aback by that. I am
now working for more than 20 years in research in cardiology, I was only
paid a few years by the NHF and have contributed to numerous other NHF
projects. Why would giving €10 or €100 each year (which we do, but that
is not the point) suddenly elevate my status from parasite to Samaritan?

Someone was at least ad rem enough to mention that for every euro he
donates only a part will be spend on research because of overhead (like
the chairman, but he was wise enough not to mention that). It is thus
better to pour your money directly into your research.

Sorry to bother you, I am just still slightly angry.