POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Sep 2008 09:36:30
Message: <op.uh8v3e2ic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:03:47 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> somebody wrote:

>  > It's the same kind of meaningless pursuit as analyzing the
>> makeup of a galaxy 5 billion light years away. There can be no
>> application
>> whatsover, even in one's wildest dreams.
>
> So, you'd rather wait for the asteroid to actually hit the earth before
> you start building telescopes capable of seeing it coming?

Perhaps more the case that he wants someone to have said "Hey something
big might hit us and it'd be a good idea to get some warning so let's
build a telescope". Of course it requires someone to think of that
otherwise no astronomical telescope will every be built as it serves no
purpose.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com