POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  End of the world delayed until spring (Message 109 to 118 of 148)
From: somebody
Subject: Re: End of the world delayed until spring
Date: 26 Sep 2008 14:59:33
Message: <48dd3115$1@news.povray.org>
news:48dd0d6d$1@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:
> > "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message

> >> I mean that (for example) research on genetic causes/cures for cancer
> >> wouldn't have been possible at all without high-energy physics
research.

> >> (Figure out how the structure of DNA was determined, for example.)

> > I'm at this point guessing that you might be a little confused of the
"high
> > energy" part in "high energy physics".

> No. But basic radioactivity was "high energy" back in Curie's day, for
> example. Discounting advanced in basic battery-powered electricity
> because they're not "high energy" ignores the point that they're
> high-energy compared to amber and fur.

1) Radioactivity was not called "high energy physics" back then, nor is it
called that now.
2) I don't deny practical uses of radioactivity.

When I say HEP, I mean HEP.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Sep 2008 15:15:19
Message: <48dd34c7$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> 1) Radioactivity was not called "high energy physics" back then, nor is it
> called that now.

You're missing the point. (As you seem to have been for much of the
discussion.)  It wasn't called that, but that's what it was, and nobody
knew when they discovered it what it would lead to.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message