POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 26 Sep 2008 19:37:38
Message: <48dd7242$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>>> 1) Radioactivity was not called "high energy physics" back then, nor is
> it
>>> called that now.
>
>> You're missing the point. (As you seem to have been for much of the
>> discussion.)  It wasn't called that, but that's what it was,
>
> No, it wasn't.

	Yes, it was. We can do this all day.

>> and nobody  knew when they discovered it what it would lead to.
>
> So if X is a member of Y and Z and if Q is a member of Y, then Q is also a
> member of Z?
>
> Ie: Radiation, which when we observed it we didn't know what it would lead
> to, actually led to useful applications, so, say, Higgs, which we don't know
> what it may lead to, will lead to useful applications when observed. Such
> reasoning doesn't follow.

	I'm not aware Darren claimed anything useful would come out of the LHC.

> Moreover, radioactivity obviously *did* have an effect on everyday life.
> That was how it was discovered (much like how magnetism or electricity was
> discovered in ancient times).

	That was not *how* it was discovered. Roentgen was not at all expecting
to see anything like it. He was not looking for a new type of radiation.
He was just doing something else and was, unknowingly, creating x-rays.
He also just happened to have something in his setup that responded to
x-rays. Total luck.

	Specifically, he was *not* trying to investigate any effect specific to
x-rays. He was investigating cathode rays.

> HEP operates in a domain not presently or foreseeably applicable to everyday
> life. We are not trying to explain an observed phenomenon, we are trying to
> "observe" something, that which is not even currently a phenomenon.

	This has been quite common in the history of physics. Sometimes
experiments predate a theory, sometimes the other way round.

> Unfortunately, not all discoveries will bear fruit in a lifetime or twenty.
> There's no such physical law. Some discoveries will remain academic for a
> long, long time.

	Yes, but you seem to have a notion that you know which will and which
won't.

--
Ground yourself, THEN hug your motherboard!

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl