POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing
Date: 17 Sep 2008 05:53:42
Message: <48d0d3a6$1@news.povray.org>
Ray Bellis wrote:

> Curiously these models all seem to describe ways to approximate the
> resulting light intensity fall-off for direct ray-tracing to light sources.

Not sure if the wikipedia article was the best to cover path tracing
needs. But at least pbrt/Luxrender has implemented Blinn stuff. And it
seems good (and definitely works for any light arriving to a point, not
just direct)

> I guess that's the advantage of the Monte Carlo method - if you're going to
> cast millions of rays you can afford to average out the results numerically,
> rather than use a mathematical approximation.

Yeah, and with modern multi-core CPUs Monte Carlo is actually possible.
You get good image usually in hours and more the cores we get, the
better. This stuff scales perfectly.

> Do you happen to have the geometry of your sample images available?  I'd
> like to try to create the same scenes to compare results.

Not at present. I still try to figure out a few problems in my code.
When I know the results are truly unbiased and accurate, I can put a few
simple test scene geometries somewhere and the output.

Post a reply to this message